Please welcome Lori Podolsky as Guest Designer for AW Challenge #61, Metallics.
Here's Lori's explanation of how she created this gorgeous card.
I started with 2 pieces of 5.7” x 5.7 white cardstock.
Applied Colorbox Creamy Brown chalk ink to the raised side of Cuttlebug’s “Clockworks” embossing folder and embossed the cardstock.
Sponged different raised parts of the cardstock with orange-yellow, turquoise, and red.
Gently sponged red areas of the cardstock with Tim Holtz’s Antique Linen Distress Ink to darken it them a bit.
Gently blotted VersaMark to the raised areas of cardstock; sprinkled it with Stampendous Jeweled Gold and Cinnamon Spice embossing powder; heat embossed it.
My intention for the above was to create a faux patina background.
Owls are nocturnal creatures so I wanted a rather dark looking card. I coloured AW’s “Steampunk Owl” , available HERE on AW.com and HERE on Etsy, with Copic markers (body: Y21, Y26, Y28, Y00, Y04, Y23, YR23) and Primacolor pencils (Metallic Gold and Terra Cotta). Left eye: Y29, E99 B000, BG19; right eye: B000, C1, C3, GB18, black pencil.
I used:
- Memory Box Brevilla Houses die
- La-La Land Crafts Steampunk Clock die
- EK Success Chain punch
- EK Success Retro flower punch (medium)
The above dies and punches were cut out using metallic copper cardstock. I distressed everything with red and brown stamp pads. I made the flower.
I cut another piece of the Brevilla Houses die on black cardstock and offset it behind the copper cardstock to give it depth. Did the same with the clock and chain.




Okay, Lori, I think I'm speechless on this one. What an absolutely fabulous Steampunk scene! I'm not one to dabble in a bunch of different mediums so the metallic effects on this are so beyond my skill and comprehension that I'm in awe. The depth of the finishes and gorgeous coloring and design are truly breathtaking. Thanks so much for joining us as Guest Designer for our Metallics challenge. We're thrilled to have you. You've really outdone yourself, my friend. xxD
ReplyDeleteThis is such a stunning steampunk project, Lori! The details - from the faux patina background to the dangling keys are just wonderful. Thank you so much for being our Guest Designer for the Metallic challenge at AW. Mitzi xxx
ReplyDelete